Job Opportunity - Business Development Officer - March 2017
Position Description – Business Development Officer
Reports to – CEO or designate
General Accountability and Responsibilities
The Business Cape Breton Business Counsellor will work directly with the CEO to create an environment that fosters growth and opportunity for current and potential small business owners in the CBRM, through skill development, needs assessment and service provision.
Specific Accountability and Responsibilities
- Provide business counselling services to new and existing business owners, as well as potential entrepreneurs.
- Assist clients in the preparation of their business plans including development of a three year financial plan which includes cash flow, income statement, and balance sheet.
- Prepare and place on all social media the client testimonials and profiles regarding new business ventures.
- Work with small business to identify services needed to ensure business success.
- Develop and maintain a current database of resources available for small business, both programming and assistance.
- Prepare required reports and surveys pertaining to BCB small business development.
- Have start-ups and expansions participate in the Think Cape Breton First Program campaign.
- Support the BCB Mentorship Program for BCB’s new and existing entrepreneurs to acquire the tools necessary for growth and success.
- Other duties as determined by the CEO.
Business Plan Development
Counsel new and existing entrepreneurs through the business planning process to:
- Set realistic and timely goals
- Clarify operational requirements
- Identify markets
- Establish reasonable forecasts
- Identify sources of financing
- Measure success
- Provide direction to appropriate service providers
- Promote the understanding and development of entrepreneurship
- Increase awareness of interest in entrepreneurship
- Provide opportunities to develop the motivation and skills required to successfully start, sustain and grow a business.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Undergraduate in Business or a related discipline.
- Five (5) year of relevant work experience.
- Previous business ownership/operation would be considered to be an asset.
- Sound understanding of business operations is imperative.
- Proficiency in communications, grammar and narrative writing.
- Business/Economic Development theories and practices.
- Local, regional and territorial economic development potential and opportunities
- Business planning and market analysis
- Principles and practices of administration including human resource practices and employment law, program budgeting, general accounting and financial management, and business systems.
- Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge of, and experience in, local and federal government business processes and decision making.
- Knowledge of programs and services of funding agencies.
- Experience in development of marketing skills for small business.
- Strong interpersonal skills which are important for creating and maintaining relationships.
- Demonstrate a high level of technology and social media proficiency.
- Research skills are important for accessing resources and identifying opportunities for entrepreneurs.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills are necessary.
- Business Planning
- Exceptional verbal, presentation and listening skills.
- Independent decision-making.
- Team building skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Stress management skills
- Ability to formulate strategies and policies and create new approaches in adverse situations.
Work with CEO in completing tracking reports regarding clients and deliverables.
- Honesty and trustworthiness
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Sound work ethics
- A personal commitment to organizational excellence
- Maintains a positive presence which warrants respect from staff, members and stakeholders.
- Normal office environment
- Public appearances and presentations
- High energy level
- Extra hours above normal day on occasion
- Management of multiple priorities
- Frequent interruptions
- Sensitive and changing economic environment
- Multiple agenda environment
Business Cape Breton
77 Kings Road
Attn: Eileen Lannon Oldford (CEO)
Business Cape Breton reserves the right to reject any or all resumes. We thank all inquiries in advance. Only those being interviewed will be contacted.
‘Application closing date is: Friday, March 10, 2017’
Latest News & Upcoming Events